Welcome to the DSES Science meeting 2/22/2021
2021-02-22 DSES Science Meeting Notes: by Bill Miller
We had 14 participants in the virtual science meeting today: Thanks everyone for joining.
Participants: Dr. Rich Russel, Ray Uberecken, Bob Haggart, Floyd Glick, Gary Agranat, Myron Babcock,Dan Layne, Brian O’Rourke, Dan Layne, Edward Currie, Jerry Espada W7IEW, Jon Ayres, Tim Cline, Steve Williams W0ML, Bill Miller
Also see the Zoom Video Recording for more detail:
Topic: DSES Science Meeting
Start Time : Feb 22, 2021 05:27 PM
We missed recording the operations and house keeping portion of the meeting, but this link includes all but the first few moments of the Science portion of the meeting.
Agenda and Notes.
- Myron’s Treasure’s Report: Checking: $2716.09, Savings: $5792.29. 33 current paid up members that include 5-life members and 1-student membership. Please pay your yearly $50 for full voting membership or $20 for interest only membership on Pay-Pal on the web site or by check to Myron at our Austin Bluffs address.
Mail: Deep Space Exploration Society
4164 Austin Bluffs Parkway #562
Colorado Springs, CO 80918
- Science Fair: Gary and Bill reviewed he projects submitted to the 2021 Virtual Pikes Peak Regional Science and Engineering Fair. The awards were as follows
1. $100 Lily Sobers – Outstanding Science Project: The Science of Spin
2. $50 Shrey Rohilla – 2nd Place Science and Engineering Project: Battle of the Blades
3. $25 Gurman Goraya – Honorable Mention Science Project: Stellar Endgame
1. $100 Kathryn Kummel – Outstanding Science Project: Investigating Atmospheric
Convection as a Chaotic System though the Lorenz Attractors using
Mathematical Modeling and a Lorenz Water Wheel
2. $50 Alden Kruse – 2nd Place Engineering Project: Something in the Water – Creating an Origami Microfluidic Device for Developing Communities
3. $25 Sean Brooks – Honorable Mention: Separating Microplastics from
Beach Sand Using a Fluidized Air Bed
Bill made Parchment Award Certificates and Myron wrote award checks for our winners. The monetary awards were taken from money generously donated for the purpose by Rich Russell from proceeds of his “Mind Files” project.
- On Saturday Feb, 20 Gary and Bill gave the 6 science fair award certificates and checks to Carol Bach, the fair coordinator at UCCS, for distribution to the students.
If anyone wants to see the projects, Bill has a list and files
- Call for BOD Nominations. We need at least three nominations for the board to replace or retain BOD members, Floyd Glick, Dave Molter, and Bill Miller by Feb 3rd. Bill called Dave Molter this week and he declined to be nominated for retention as he is too busy to serve. Don Latham was nominated and seconded in the engineering meeting and Ray Uberecken and Floyd Glick were also seconded in the meeting. Later Bill self-nominated and Myron seconded.
- Bill moves that nominations after this meeting will close and he will send out the election ballots in Email. This was seconded and Bill will send out the Ballots on Feb 23.
- BOD Initiative
In 2019 and 2020 we accomplished a lot of the big goals that we had been working on for a number of years including (H1) Hydrogen Line mapping, Tropospheric scatter communications, Pulsar detection, and EME. Now that we have those accomplishments and can replicate them at will, we should look ahead and decide what we do next. Everyone should think of a radio astronomy or organization project that they think would be doable and important and get those into a list that we can review and go after with some more detailed plans. The main categories of interest would be:
- New observation initiatives
- Ham Radio capabilities, contesting and special events
- On site open house for Aug 2021
- Continued Infrastructure upgrade and maintenance.
- Instrument and electronics upgrade and additions.
- Scientific discovery, theory testing, and publication.
- Educational programs and events for members and students.
- Public outreach and member recruitment
- There is an upcoming Schriever STEM Day on April 23rd from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm. This may be an opportunity to gain some new members and is an excellent outreach opportunity.
- Our Site is photogenic! Don Savage and Jason Fazio would like to do some all-night photography at the site. Andrew Miller, another photographer based out of Denver would like to do a project on the site as well as Marc Slover and Michael Rice who compiled the time-lapse videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=HLrpsVmBchE&feature=youtu.be
- Front Range 6 Meter Group. President, Paul Sobon firstname.lastname@example.org asked for a DSES presentation on Wed. , Feb 10th . at 7PM. Please view Bill’s presentation of the “Virtual DSES Open House” recorded from the Front Range 6 Meter Group at http://dses.science/dses-presentation-to-the-front-range-6-meter-group.
- If going to the site call Chad Carter to see if he would like to meet you there. He often works on the camera on the large grain elevator in Haswell and other Eastern Colorado sites. www.car-telenterprises.com 785-564-0118 cell.
- Planet Walk:
- Bill will write an endorsement letter and have the DSES Board modify and approve for Planet Walk Colorado Springs. See https://www.planetwalkcs.org/
- Dr. Rich Russel’s Science presentation. Click on to view.
End of meeting